Who wants some EXTRA happiness in their lives? Everyone, right?
Society has taught us that if we work hard we will be more successful, and if we are more successful, then happiness will follow. But recent discoveries in the field of positive psychology and neuroscience have shown that this formula is actually wrong! Happiness creates success, not the other way around. When we are positive, our brains become more engaged, creative, motivated, energetic, resilient, and productive. After listening to Shawn Achor speak at a national conference in Las Vegas over the summer, I’ve incorporated at least one of the follow “happiness habits” into my daily routines.
- Writing down three new things I am grateful for each day. Research shows this will significantly improve your optimism even 6 months later, and raises your success rates significantly.
- Writing for 2 minutes describing one positive experience I’ve had over the past 24 hours. This is a strategy to help transform you from a task-based thinker, to a meaning based thinker who scans the world for meaning instead of endless to-dos.
- Exercising for 10+ minutes a day. This trains your brain to believe your behavior matters, which causes a cascade of success throughout the rest of the day.
- Meditating for 2 minutes, focusing on breathing in and out and clearing my mind of the “chatter”. This will help you undo the negative effects of multitasking. Research shows you get multiple tasks done faster if you do them one at a time. It also decreases stress and raises happiness.
- Writing one, quick email first thing in the morning thanking or praising a member on my team, family, or friends. This significantly increases your feeling of social support, which is a large predictor of happiness.
The Happiness Advantage isn’t only about how to become happier. It’s about having a more positive mind-set to reach your maximum potential and live an extraordinary life! It’s truly amazing how a slight mind-shift change and simple daily gratitude exercises transform your mood, relationships, productivity, and life! Pick one of the above strategies and give it a try for the next 21 days.
(Affiliate Link): The Happiness Advantage: http://shopstyle.it/l/no9p
52 Lists of Gratitude Journal: http://shopstyle.it/l/npOt
You can listen to Shawn’s TED talk to learn more!