March 21st marks a day each year we celebrate the extra happiness Down syndrome brings to our world! It’s a very special day to honor those rocking a little something extra. How can you celebrate and make an impact? Keep reading to find out.
1. Wear mis-matched socks. Post and hashtag #rockyoursocks Why mis-matched socks? First of all, it starts a conversation. When someone notices or asks, you can share that you are supporting Down syndrome awareness and acceptance.
2. Wear yellow and blue. Post and hashtag #worlddownsyndromeday You can purchase ribbons, rubber bracelets and other items here and wear them all year long.
3. Donate to a local organization that supports individuals with DS. GiGi’s Playhouse Fort Wayne or DSANI are two that I recommend. These organizations change the lives of families and individuals with Down syndrome daily.
4. Sign up for your local Buddy Walk. Since 1995, thousands of steps have been taken towards a better tomorrow. Since then, the Buddy Walk has become known as the premier advocacy event for Down syndrome in the United States. It is also the world’s most widely recognized public awareness program for the Down syndrome community.
5. Have a dance party! Record a 21 second dance party and post it to one or all of your social channels. (It can be longer than 21 seconds.) Hashtag #worlddownsyndromeday and spread some HAPPY!
6. Give someone a hug and tell them you love them! World Down Syndrome Day is the perfect time to spread EXTRA love to those around you. Either in person or virtually.
7. Buy a t-shirt and support a small business! We love our tees from A Lil Something Extra. This company is ran by a family whom adapted a son with Down syndrome. They make Down syndrome and adoption awarness tees in all sizes, colors, and styles. Use code EXTRADETAILS for a discount at checkout.
8. Check out the Down Syndrome Facts on my IG highlights Click here: @theextradetails — share facts with friends and loved ones. I wrote these facts in honor of my son during the month of October, which is Down Syndrome Awareness Month.
9. Do a Random Act of Kindness! Do you see a theme here? Spreading EXTRA love, kindness, positivity, awareness, acceptance is the name of the game. We honor those with Down syndrome by making our world a better place.
10. Check out a children’s book about Down syndrome at your local library or listen to one online. Take it one step further and volunteer to read a book in a local classroom.
A few of my favorites include;
You can purchase them all on Amazon.
Now go out, spread the happy, and BE EXTRA!