As a former first grade teacher, mother of two, special needs advocate, and children’s book lover, I decided to inventory our collection of books to create an even more diverse collection. I’ve compiled a list of books to teach diversity, equality, and acceptance. Many I own, and many I have on my wishlist.
As I began adding books to my collection here are a few things I thought about.
- Does the book include diverse characters (and main characters) of different color? Gender? Age? Differently-abled?
- Does the book promote inclusion and equality?
- Does this text accurately reflect experiences in terms of setting, characters, and illustrations?
- Is the text relevant now?
- How could this text motivate, connect, and inspire?
Here are even more books you can begin exploring. *All linked and ready to shop. If you have other recommendations, please let me know!
BE EXTRA, DO EXTRA!